We are looking forward to welcome you to Aarhus for the Sailing World Championships 2018.
It will be a magnificent view with 1.000 boats from close to 100 nations racing the Bay of Aarhus when all 10 Olympic events including the 2 foiling kite board events gather for the World Championships and the first and most significant Olympic qualifier for Tokyo 2020.
The Worlds’ finest sailing stars will be in Aarhus and the races will be broadcasted live worldwide.
For spectators on site the races will be transmitted to big media screens on the spectator areas and the entire harbor front is turned into a world class maritime public festival where the guests are invited to celebrate sailing and all kinds of maritime activities and info-tainments.
If you wish to watch the competitions from your own boat, or if you are just planning to navigate in the area during the event, you are most welcome to do so. To ensure the best experience and not interfering with the competitions we have created a set of useful guidelines according how you can navigate safely around the racing areas:
- Competitions are mainly between 12am and 5pm in the period August 2. – 12. Please keep attention when the competitions are taking place.
- Each individual racing area covers about 1 nautical mile and is characterized by the boats being the same type and shape and often the same color. Avoid sailing between the boats and the buoys and keep a distance of at least 300 meters.
- Several RIBs will govern and control the competition in the racing areas or do media coverage. They are recognized by flying an event flag. Keep at least a distance of 100 meters to any of these RIBs.
- Police and marshalling boats are overviewing the racing areas and may approach you. Most of the Bay of Aarhus is laid out as restricted to the competition by the Danish Maritime Authority and directions must be followed immediately. They might also be giving advice on ongoing and upcoming competitions in the area.
- About 250 boats are launched every day from the Aarhus Marina. This will mainly take place in the late morning. During the launch, the entrance to the marina can be very crowded. Please have 20 minutes of patience and enjoy the buzz – by then they are gone.
- The main part of the boats are launched from the Port of Aarhus (the commercial port). This is a restricted area for leisure traffic and access is solely allowed for competitors, support and official boats. Don’t go there!
- The Nacra catamarans and the kite boards are sailing at great speed – and their maneuvers can be very difficult to predict. Special attention and additional distance is advised here.
- Enjoy the show – and use your common sense.
Please read the full program here. Here you will find maps of the competition area, schedules and information about the Olympic sailing classes. Safely back on shore you will also find a great variety on daily entertainment.
Please feel welcome at the Hempel Sailing World Championships, Aarhus 2018.
Sailing Event Manager