Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018 is a world class sport and a maritime festival rolled into one event. Sailors from over 100 nations will be racing in the waters of the Bay of Aarhus for world championships medals and the possibility to be qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Aarhus 2018 is celebrates a sport, a city, and a nation undergoing constant evolution. Denmark has always been a leader in the sport of sailing. In this country, sailing is a part of life. All Danes are close to the sea and to the world of ocean adventures awaiting them when they get in a boat. The freedom, passion, and shared experience of sailing will now be within everyone’s reach when the championships and the associated events roll out. The city’s newly constructed harbour front offer activities for the entire family.
The event takes place on the Docklands, at the exact spot where the Vikings founded Aarhus. A new world class sailing centre is the venue for 14 days leaving significant impact on Denmark’s sailors and on the further urban development in Aarhus.
Hempel Saling World Championships Aarhus 2018 is held from July 30th to August 12th and it will be one of the largest sports events ever staged in Denmark. The Bay of Aarhus will be a focal point for thousands of people and for the world’s elite sailors in a timeless battle against the wind, the waves, and the other racers.
Facts about the event
- Held every four years, the Sailing World Championships is one of the biggest global sailing event in the world.
- Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018 is the first big qualification for the Olympic games in Tokyo 2020.
- The World Championships will include all 10 Olympic boat classes.
- Kite surfing will be added to the programme for the first time.
- 1100 sailboats
- 1500 participants from approx. 100 nations
- The event expects to draw 400.000 visitors to Aarhus.
- More than 800 volunteers