CITY OF SAILS - BAY OF CHAMPIONS
Facts about Aarhus hosting the Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018
- Aarhus is Denmark’s second largest city with a population of 324,000. More broadly there are approximately 1.5 million people within one hour’s drive.
- The Port of Aarhus is one of the busiest container ports in the Baltics.
- Aarhus is the cultural, commercial and educational center of Western Denmark.
- Aarhus has a large population of students and Young people and a bustling and energetic atmosphere.
- Aarhus has a relatively high educational level and everybody speaks English.
Aarhus is the perfect host for the Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018. We know what it takes to stage a world-class sailing event. Aarhus is easily accessible, has proven world-class race conditions and regatta organisation skills, and the competition venue offers perfect logistics in the middle of an exciting and vibrant city. Moreover, there is strong public support behind the Championships in Aarhus and there will be a huge swell of support from the whole country to the event. Denmark is one of the sailing nations and Aarhus is its city of sails.
Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018 will also support and strengthen the major development already underway in the residential area of Aarhus Ø. It will be an asset to the city and a magnet for development and innovation. The scale of the Aarhus Ø project will also create a greater focus for the Championships, highlighting their transformative capacity and the role they can play in developing a city.